Wednesday 20 January 2010

Magazine Cover Evalutation

Having finished my Magazine Cover overall i am pleased with the final piece. I have included the codes and conventions of the horror movie genre and not forgetting the basic conventions of a magazine. I started off with a basic layout plan of how i wanted to set it out and adjusted it slightly as i went along. I collected many images but narrowed it down to about 4 or 5 to use, some of which i layered and the others i used as main images. For the centre image i have increased the size and adjusted the brightness and contrast to help blend it in with the dark background. I left all of the layers for the background on 100% opacity but i did change one. I chose to lower the levels for the layer which contains the fire. The whole aim of doing this was to make it partially transparent to create an eerie effect. After surveying my target audience i then put the title in place. Overall i am quite pleased i have asked for others opinions as they all have different views and they can spot things that are wrong, that i wouldn't necessarily notice. After analyzing other movie magazine covers i decided to adapt my own to fit the horror movie genre. To do so i included many codes and conventions from this genre and placed them into my magazine cover. Some of these included the Red fonts to reflect blood, danger and warnings and White to reflect purity and innocence. Where as Black reflects darkness and evil. To fit the magazine in with my other products i included the fire which you can see throughout and the constant link with eyes is also displayed as the character makes full eye contact with the audience.
Moving on next to the title i have added the price which i intend to sell this product for with help from my target audience. After researching and carrying out a survey i was able to come up with a price for this product which was reasonable. At the top of the page i have added three movie titles which my magazine will also feature as well as my own movie. These are in a smaller and less bold font but still stands out due to being on a Black background. I have divided these with Yellow squares to add colour to my magazine which also runs along with the colour scheme of my teaser trailer and poster. At the bottom of the page i have included a barcode which i think makes the magazine look professional as well as a magazine needing it for retail puroposes. I have also added a small Black box with White font stating its a "Chilling Exclusive" above the movie title which helps entice the audience just by the use of language. The colours together are also opposites, Black & White contrasting each other. Another key thing which i noticed these products have are release dates, most of these happened to be monthly and as I found out with my target audience they either prefer fortnightly or monthly but monthly came out with more votes. So for this i chose to create a monthly edition which i then displayed the date next to the main title along with a website address which usually helps to promote movies and the magazine further.
Overall i am quite pleased with this product as i have been able to make connections with my previous work and keep it looking professional. I also found that having audience feedback helped alot as i was able to get accurate information which helped to improve my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment